Ad sense

Sunday, February 22, 2015

President Truman double in with Martinez and Keenan yet Joseph Martinez is the Professional

TURNER: Well, I'll think of Joe's last name in a minute.

HESS: Well, I should know it myself.

TURNER: Joe used to give me all the -- he could tell me a lot of...

HESS: Martinez?

TURNER: That's it. Joe Martinez. How did you know that?

HESS: Oh, I've had a few interviews on the Truman...

TURNER: On the committee.

HESS: On the Truman Committee.

TURNER: Well, Joe Martinez used to always talk about it and he was a close friend of mine. And he used to tell me a lot of stories about what a guy Truman was. So, I guess I had a little better insight than others and I thought he would be a good President. I didn't expect him -- he certainly exceeded what anybody could have hoped. I mean, he was a great President.

HESS: Do you have anything else to add on Mr. Truman or the Truman administration; labor's role in those days?

TURNER: No, I think I've covered everything. Have you ever talked with Joe Keenan?

HESS: No.

TURNER: Well, he was a guy...

HESS: Does he live here in town?

TURNER: Yes, right here in town, with the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, and he was vice-chairman of the War Production Board during World War II very close to Truman. He used to go in the back door all the time. And I think that Keenan could give you more insight into Truman than anyone who is around at the moment. He was closer -- I would say that he was -- he and Herb Rivers were the two closest labor leaders to Truman. I don't think that anyone was as close as those two.

HESS: Well, fine.

TURNER: Whatever you do, I would call Keenan right away. He's seventy -- he's about seventy-three or seventy-four years old.

HESS: Well, thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment